Super Spent Grain Muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup spent grain, dried*
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup packed light brown sugar, plus 3 tablespoons for sprinkling
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease with baking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, dried spent grain, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate larger bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 cup of brown sugar, and oil until well combined; stir in applesauce.
- Fold in flour mixture until just moistened (it’s ok if it’s still a little lumpy).
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin tin. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over tops.
- Bake muffins for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. *To dry your spent grain, spread the grain in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 180ºF for about 7 hours, stirring every hour or so.