A light drinking low-calorie beverage that is easy to make and easier to drink!
4 lb Dextrose (corn sugar)
4 oz Yeast Nutrient
5g Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast
4 oz Fruit Flavoring
5 oz Priming Sugar
Clarifier (such as Isinglass)
– Boil kettle, at least 3 – 3.5 gallons
– Fermenter: bucket or carboy, airlock
– 48 12-oz, or 24 22-oz bottles
1. Remove the yeast from the fridge and allow to warm. This will take a few hours. White Labs and Omega do not require activation like other smack packs.
2. Begin heating 2.5 – 3 gallons of water.
3. Add the 4 lbs of dextrose and stir until dissolved.
4. Bring the kettle to a boil. Boil for a total of 5 minutes.
5. After boiling, turn off the heat and add 4 oz of yeast nutrient.
6. Cool the wort (unfermented liquid) to 90F. Remove the kettle from heat and cool by using a wort chiller or placing the kettle in an ice bath in your sink.
7. Sanitize fermenting equipment and yeast pack. Anything that touches the wort after the boil MUSTbe sanitized.
8. Pour the cooled wort into the fermenter. Add cool water to fermenter to top up to 5 gallons.
9. Take gravity reading. (Should be around 1.028-1.033)
10. Aerate the wort by stirring (splashing) for a few minutes.
11. Remove the lid and pitch yeast. For dry yeast, open package and sprinkle on top of the wort. Do not mix in.
12. Seal the fermenter with lid and place a sanitized airlock into the hole in the lid. Fill airlock to the line with sanitizer. Place fermenter in a dark, quiet place.
13. Fermentation will begin within about 48 hours, indicated by a bubbling airlock.
14. At day 14 add 2 oz of clarifier (isinglass or biofine).
15. 3 days later add 2-4 oz of flavoring.
16. When the gravity reading is within the final range (see box label) and consistent for at least 3 days, fermentation is complete.
17. Take final gravity reading (should be around .999-1.002)
18. Transfer the seltzer from the fermenter to the sanitized bottling bucket. Use caution not to aerate the beer by splashing.
19. Prepare priming solution by mixing 5 oz priming sugar with ¾ cup of boiling water.
20. Mix this solution and 4oz of flavoring. Add to bottling bucket and mix well into the seltzer.
21. Fill bottles using bottling wand and cap securely.
22. Condition bottles at room temperature for 1-2 weeks.
23. Once carbonated, chill bottles and enjoy!
- Category: Hard Seltzer
Keywords: hard seltzer